Friday, 14 March 2014

Concrete stool...DIY

....DIY




So, in my last post I showed you my shopping wish list for our impending bedroom make-over, and top of my list was this concrete stool from Cox&Cox..
But as it was out of my budget I decided to DIY one for using as a bedside table...

 

In today's tutorial, I will show you how!




You will need:


A long piece of 1,5" thick dowel(from any hardware shop)
A bucket
Fast setting Concrete mix (I used Postcrete )
Water
A measuring tape
A pencil
A wood saw
A palm sander
Sandpaper
Masking tape
Paint

Cut the dowel into 3 equally long pieces...
The length depends on how tall you want your stool to be...I cut mine to 18".


Plan the positioning of your dowel "legs" prior to mixing up the concrete:
Place them into your bucket to decide on the positioning of the legs...
...because I used an old empty paint kettle with a low rim, I stuck 3 bits of offcut wood to the sides of the "bucket" with tape to improve the angle of mine..


Take the "legs" out again and poor about 1 inch of tap water into your bucket...
...add the concrete and mix well!
You need to aim for about 3" of concrete mix!


Tap and shake the bucket to knock out any air bubbles and let the mix settle, then place your dowel legs about 1/3 into the concrete...

Leave to set for at least 24 hours...



...preferably 48 hours...
If you have accidentally got any concrete on your wooden legs, use a bit of sandpaper to get rid of any unwanted lumps at this stage..
Then turn the bucket upside down and press the sides of the bucket to release the concrete...jiggle it off.

If your stool is not completely level, like mine , use a spirit level (or a measuring jug.... I couldn't find my spirit level) to determine where you will need to take some off the legs, them mark each leg that will need shortening. Use a palm-sander (or similar) to sand back the longest legs...
Run some sand-paper over the sharp edge of the concrete on the underside of the stool for safety..
I masked off  3" on each leg and painted with white gloss (Not only does this look nice, but it will also protect the wood from staining at the bottom).

That's it!

 

 I love that I could create this so easily for less than £25,-



It is going to look perfect in our "new-look" bedroom, which by the way is finished painted now (Sneaky peek of my new wall colour in the pic above...)

What do you think of my DIY concrete stool?
Doesn't it look easy??
It is!

Or would you have rather spent over £100 for a ready made one?

Have a great week-end folks!
I am hoping to take Mr shopping for new laminate flooring ...
so fingers crossed we find something we can agree on and commit to!

xxx
June

23 comments:

Katie Nathey said...

Wow this is so neat and you make it look so easy! I'd love it if you shared this over at The Makers link party going on at my blog right now. Hope to see you there! UpcycledTreasures.com

june olsen said...

Thanks Katie! I have just added this and another project to your fab linky party....btw: Love your blog!!
June

Alexis Middleton said...

This is so great! I have been wanting to try a concrete project, and I think I may have to try this one. It turned out just perfectly. I think your version is even better than your inspiration. Thank you for sharing it with us at The Makers! :)

Carmody said...

I absolutely love this stool!!! Great job.

Corey W. said...

This is genius! It looks amazing and I love your use of a measuring cup to check the levelness:) Thanks for sharing at The Makers! So glad to have you.
Corey @ TinySidekick.com

Rea T said...

oh how cool is this june! I would be scared to work on anything involving concrete but you made it look easy to make!

hey thanks for sharing this over at The DIY'ers! huggies♥
rea

june olsen said...

Thanks you guys! (blushing)
heading over to your blogs now!! Sharing makes me happy!!

Michelle said...

This is such an awesome stool, love the top and little legs too. Great job girl :)

june olsen said...

Alexis Middleton and Rea T : I love working with concrete...there is nothing to be scared of (unless you have an allergy) just remember to wear gloves and dust mask when mixing it up...and choose a fast setting concrete (You lucky americans have a fab one called quickcrete)
This is a good project to start with for any concrete novices!! Good luck! And thanks Carmody and Michelle for your kind comments!!

Lisa @ Practically Perfect Home said...

Good morning June! I love how your stool turned out and am featuring it on my 'Weekly Wonders' post this morning. Thank you for the inspiration! ~Lisa

june olsen said...

Thanks Lisa! And thanks for the feature!

Kayla @ Home Coming said...

I love this so much, you're being featured today on The DIY'ers! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2014/03/the-diyers-55.html

june olsen said...

Thanks Kayla! Thanks for the feature...heading over there now!!

Rea T said...

hey june, i bet you will be thrilled that kayla and i have you on our top three favorites! we did not know until it went live this morning!!
congrats!

thanks for sharing this over to The DIY'ers(http://homefor4sweethome.blogspot.com/2014/03/the-diyers-time.html), huggies♥
rea

Brynne Delerson said...

I love this! I pinned an inspiration image for this kind of stool a long time ago, certain it could be DIYed, but I never got around to it - I LOVE your tutorial!

june olsen said...

Rea T! Yes...thrilled!! Thank you so much! Love the DIY'ers!!x

june olsen said...

Brynne Delerson! Thanks! I have been sitting on this one (gettit?? ) for a while...so glad you liked my tutorial!!

Katie Nathey said...

Hi June! Your concrete stool is a party feature at The Makers link party this week! Thanks so much for sharing and we hope you will stop by again this week. Don't forget to grab a button :)

-Katie @ Upcycled Treasures

Ashley Mayes said...

Saw this at the Makers linkup. Love it. Pinned!

june olsen said...

Thanks for the feature Katie Nathey! Will definitely pop by your fab blog and link party again soon!

june olsen said...

Thanks for pinning my stool Ashley Meyes!

Shonee Smith said...

Love this stool. I have never worked with cement for home decor. I think I need to try it. I will be featuring this on my favorite things friday over at hawthorneandmain.com.

june olsen said...

Thanks Shonee Smith! I just love concrete and cement ! This is a great project to try if you're new to it!! Best of luck and thanks for the feature!!
xxx

"