Sunday 7 July 2013

Happy monday...

......A long overdue project...
 
I am really excited about this weeks project...as it is a project I have wanted to do for a long time...
 
 
The first piece of furniture I ever bought....
When me and Mr was about to move into our first flat together, I bought this farmhouse style pine table....It was the only bit of furniture we had on moving day....literally: we didn't even have a bed!!!
We slept on a blow-up mattress for about a year.....having to pump it back up every evening, because by the morning it had deflated to the point where we were more or less sleeping on the floor... 
So we had this table, and a couple of old, rickety chairs we "borrowed" from our previous rented accommodation... And we found some pots and pans on a skip in Pinewood studios, where we were both working on Thunderbirds, the movie...not that they were any good for the first couple of weeks, as we didn't have a cooker....

The table legs unscrews, so the table becomes  a little lower than a regular coffee table...
 
Turns out, it was a great buy....because the table legs unscrews it became a versatile bit of furniture, that doubled up as a coffee table.....very handy in our one bedroom flat....
We would use it as a coffee table in the everyday, then simply screw the table legs back on for special occasions when we needed a dining table....
 
Over the years we have of course acquired a lot more furniture....including a bed, thank heavens....and also more importantly , we have now got a family and a proper home...
Unfortunately, there is no place for the old multipurpose table in our new(ish) home...
It doesn't fit in the kitchen, and I currently have an ottoman on coasters in the front room, with a Moroccan tray on top to put our coffee cups on......and it's soo nice to put your feet up at the end of the day...
 
Some of the table legs have big cracks running down them...
 
So the table has been stuck in the shed for over a year and a half now....
...poor thing!
Mr. wanted to chuck it when we moved....to save space in the removal lorry....
...but I managed to persuade him to take it, on the promise that I would do it up (it has taken quite a beating over the years...including a few art sessions with pens and crayons in the hands of a 2 year-old Little Miss Moo.).....and sell it!
 
 
The table top has loads of these dips around the wood knots...
 
So I've had lots of time to think about what I want to do with it, and I have a plan...
Tune in on Wednesday to see part one of the old trusted table's makeover...
I will be talking about making your own chalk paint.....AND milk-paint...
And of course a step by step of the table transformation...
 
And for Saturday's DIY tutorial I will show you just what I have planned for the table top...
 
Did you build your home from nothing?
What was your first bit of furniture?
I'd love to hear your story.....
 
xxx
June
 
 


No comments:

"