Saturday 18 May 2013

DIY Jar pendant light


We really needed a light over our kitchen table, and instead of paying for an electrician to come in and install one, I decided to make this easy  free hanging jar-pendant......

This is such an easy DIY......
.....all you need is:

I've been looking for a suitable jar for this project for ages.....inspired by mason jar light tutorial. I really had my heart set on a Norwegian norges glass, but they are now unfortunately out of production.
In the end I found this beautiful "Crown" jar in homebase...
But a screw lid Kilner jar would work as well. 

....a nice screw-lid jar (make sure the opening is wide enough to fit the light bulb through)
....a lantern cord kit/ swag light cord kit

I got my lantern cord kit from hanging lanterns
.....a drill with a sharp hole-cutter bit
....a gripping underlay (such as an old carpet)
....a rounded file

I know....the state of my drill....

All you really need to do is drill a hole in the lid, the right size to fit the bulb-end of your cord kit through....
.....find the centre of the lid, drill a small pilot hole as a guide, then ,using a hole cutter-bit in the right size drill the hole.
It will help if you place the lid on a gripping surface, as it will want to spin as you drill it.(I used an old bit of carpet)

NB! Depending on what metal your lid is made from, this could be quite hard work, and the lid and drill bit could get quite hot.....

Use a file to neaten any sharp bits around the edges of your hole


Then all you have to do, is fit the bulb end of your cord kit through the lid.....


...screw on the cap bit inside the lid to hold in place...
....fit your light bulb....


....and that's it.....
....easy!!!


Now all you have to do is suspend it from the ceiling...


I love the slightly industrial look of this...

xxx
June

4 comments:

sarah said...

love this! thanks for sharing!

june olsen said...

Hi Sarah! glad you liked it....thanks for looking!! please pop by again!! xxjune

Anonymous said...

I love your Kilner jar lights and want to make one. If they have the lid on and are completely shut will they not explode?
Best wishes
Lizzie Birkett

june olsen said...

I used mine for over a year with a low voltage lightbulb and it was fine....but if you are truly worried why not make some air-holes in the lid using a hammer and nail Lizzie!!

"